• To become an astute negotiator and mediator
• To gain a deeper understanding of current regional processes of integration from a multidisciplinary perspective
• To acquire competencies in aspects related to regional integration
• To acquire relevant skills and tools for analysing complex phenomena related to regional and international integration
• To be equipped with crucial knowledge and cutting-edge skills useful in the management of inter-governmental bodies
• To become an incisive critical thinker capable of putting forward compelling arguments and presenting analyses of regional integration processes
• To enhance your capability to carry out comparative analysis of the different regional systems and processes in Africa and beyond
Riara School of International Relations and Diplomacy is a home of talents and global shapers! The School has a pool of stable, seasoned and respected faculty who have not only travelled far and wide but also won awards for their teaching, research and service to humanity. They actively contribute to both scholarly and policy debates, and use their connections in government, business, and policy- making communities for the benefit of students.
Students often appreciate the diversity, passion, and commitment of the school’s faculty. They nurture future diplomats as they teach with passion, dedication and professional excellence.
Mode of Teaching/Learning
Our Students apply Design Challenge Approach in solving industrial and societal problems. During the first semester of the academic calendar, you will be introduced to a variety of international relations and diplomacy courses with a bias in Regional Studies and Diplomacy.
• The MA Course adopts the Modular approach to teaching in which theory meets practice with the aim of enriching and enhancing the learning experience.
• A total of 47 units are taught including Design Challenge which leads to the Final Year Research Project.
• Faculty are drawn from both inter-governmental organisations and international institutions as well as distinguished scholars across the globe.
• Our students have the opportunity to interact with highly respected academicians and diplomats through our visiting scholar/diplomats initiative.
Riara University prides itself of being the first institution of higher learning in East and Central Africa to have established a robust mechanism of integrating foreign languages into the practice of diplomacy and regional studies.
For those joining the Riara University community without the benefit of having learnt any foreign language, you will be expected to attain certification in at least one. The foreign languages are taught and coordinated by the Global and Language Studies Centre (GLASC).
On successful completion of your course, below are some of the opportunities open to you:
• Negotiators and mediators
• Diplomats in Kenyan embassies
• International business leaders
• Careers in foreign embassies in Kenya
• Careers in international organisations
• Careers in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
• Careers in the Ministry of East African Community
• Careers in defense
• Careers at the United Nations
• Careers at the African Union
• Careers in regional bodies
• International researchers
• Conference assistants
• A Bachelors degree from an accredited university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale, or a degree awarded with First Class or Upper Second Class Honours.
• A GPA of 2.5 or Lower Second Class Honours or Higher Diploma with relevant 2 years experience may be considered if the degree or diploma is relevant to the field of study with significant work experience.
Our intake is in January, May and August. Application forms can be picked from our Nairobi campus on Mbagathi Way. They can also be downloaded directly from our website at www.riarauniversity.ac.ke.
Payment of fee is dependent on the number of modules undertaken per semester