The School of International Relations and Diplomacy is one of the most vibrant, fast-growing and with alluring academic and professional programmes in East and Central Africa. The School’s exemplary and cutting-edge teaching, research and partnership has attracted students and faculty from across the globe. It is essentially a microcosm of the diplomatic community dedicated to academic excellence and global responsibility.
Riara School of International Relations Diplomacy is a talent and critical thinking incubator for global shapers and movers. The School has seasoned and respected faculty who have travelled far and wide, and won awards for their teaching, research, and service to humanity. They actively contribute to both scholarly and policy debates while using their connections with external communities to the benefit of students. They nurture our future diplomats with passion, dedication and professional excellence.
In the first semester of your academic calendar, our faculty will introduce you to a variety of international relations and diplomacy courses. You will be taught a total of 51 units including Community Service and Internship at an organisation of your choice. Most of our students find internship placement in various agencies of the United Nations, Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Defense and East African Community (EAC). In addition, private sector organisations and international business enterprises are increasingly attracting our students for internship and employment opportunities.
Riara University prides itself of being the first institution of higher learning in East and Central Africa to have established a robust mechanism of integrating foreign languages into the practice of diplomacy and regional studies. Our graduates have the freedom to select at least one foreign language as part of their qualifying credentials. Foreign languages are taught and coordinated by
the Global and Language Studies Centre (GLASC).
On successful completion of your course, following are some of the opportunities open to you:
- Negotiators and mediators
- Diplomats in Kenyan embassies
- International business leaders
- Careers in foreign embassies in Kenya
- Careers in international organisations
- Careers in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Careers in the Ministry of East African Community
- Careers in defense
- Careers at the United Nations
- Careers at the African Union
- Careers in regional bodies
- International researchers
Would you like to be a Professional Recognized Globally?
Join the rest of future diplomats at the School of International Relations and Diplomacy (IRD) and interact with more than 50 international partners from across the globe that will sharpen your wit and professional character. We achieve this through the monthly week of Diplomatic Image Simulation (DIS).
- A minimum of C+ at KCSE or KACE with two principals and one subsidiary or its equivalent.
- Be a holder of IGCSE with 5 credits or equivalent international qualifications.
- Be a holder of a Diploma in International Relations and Diplomacy of Riara University with a GPA of 2.00 (C) or equivalent qualification from an institution recognised by CUE.
Our intake is in January, May and August. Application forms can be picked from our Nairobi campus on Mbagathi Way. They can also be downloaded directly from our website at www.riarauniversity.ac.ke.
- Kshs. 97,300 per semester for a total of 8 semesters.
- Statutory charges are Kshs. 20,500 per academic year.
- One off payment is Kshs. 12,000.
- Registration fee is paid every semester at Kshs. 1,000.
- Kshs. 26,400 is charged for industrial attachment.